UU the Vote
So many of you are making a difference! And there’s still time to help.
UUFSD friends writing letters, postcards, phone-bank and more
- Rick Appleton: “I’ve been writing letters with Vote Forward since mid-August. The protocol is easy to follow, and the instructions are very clear. . . . I’m on my second hundred letters now. . . . Happy writing, and as I add in all my letters: “Vote because your life depends on it!”
- Ron DeMuth: “Phonebanking into Georgia today was awesome, gratifying, fulfilling. Highly recommend it! Today I spoke to many people, and my experience was genuinely gratifying, but two conversations really stand out: an elderly woman in rural Georgia, a shut-in . . . and a young man who answered his phone at the hospital, where his wife is in her 2nd day of labor.”
Monday Motivator, 6 PM, weekly thru Nov. 9
Learn more or just hang out while you write postcards and letters.
- Hosted by UUFSD members
- Meeting link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89088145020?pwd=MzZtczkyNmFyengwdE4xRVM1b2Fidz09
- Meeting ID: 890 8814 5020
- Passcode: UUtv20!
What are you doing, planning? Need any help?
UUFSD – UU the Vote 2020 survey has info, links to activities and support connections. (Takes 2 minutes)
- Look over the options.
- Tell us what you need.
NOTE: UUFSD received a grant for postage (non-partisan letters). We also have envelopes, printing, delivery service and UUs ready to support your participation. Contact: email@example.com
- Share your progress.
A few of the options to choose from
- Vote Forward is one of the non-partisan campaigns we’re recommending.
Letters need to be mailed on Oct. 17.
- October activities: Based on UUFSD member testing, we recommend the NAACP https://blackvoiceschangelives.org for rewarding phone-banking. They have excellent training support!
- More activities at UU the Vote.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Worried about our election during COVID? You should be!!
UU the Vote meets most Sundays, after the service coffee hour (11:45 AM-12:45PM.
August 23rd & 30th Zoom link is HERE.
Voter turnout may be fine in California and solidly blue and red states that both parties are ignoring as predetermined. But voter participation will face significant obstacles in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida and North Carolina and Texas. North Carolina, Michigan and Texas also have contested Senate seats. These are purple states without a history, funding or ability to conduct a fair mail-in-ballot election. They lack the resources to buy the necessary equipment or hire the necessary people to convert to a mail-in election. Officials will site Coronavirus risks as grounds to close polls in urban minority areas and in college towns. Conspiracy theories will fly from election night as the media will not be able to call the election as current laws mandate that mail-in ballots counting start after Election Day. The longer the count takes, the more conspiracy theories will gain traction and the winner will lose legitimacy. With unprecedented numbers of mail-in ballots and insufficient resources it won’t be possible to count all ballots by the federal statutory certification deadline. Without a change in the law, the Gore v. Bush precedent, which states that the certification deadline cannot be extended to allow for a more proper count, will apply. State legislators will usurp power and choose electoral college representatives themselves, stating it is simply not possible to do a proper count/recount of all mail in ballots in the time necessary and that they believe that voters really did vote for ______. All of that presumes that USPS receives the funding it direly needs to stay afloat and deliver mail-in ballots. Right now, USPS is heading toward bankruptcy in mid-fall, just before the election.
UU The Vote is looking to partner with another UU congregation in a swing state, to address these issues. We have identified grant funding through UUA’s UU The Vote Funding Program.
Please read/watch/listen to at least one UUA and one non-UUA resource before attending our meeting.
UUA UU the Vote Webinars and other info
UUA UU the Vote Resources
How do we Vote in a Pandemic
Brennan Center for Justice for Justice NYU
Spread the Vote
League of Women Voters
Fair Fight (Stacy’s Abrams’ organization that has been successful in reinstating tens of thousands of people who were illegally stricken from voter registration records)
Posted by Wenda Alvarez