Guidelines for Reducing Paper Waste at UUFSD
The Guidelines for Reducing Paper Waste at UUFSD will help us align with our 7th principle:
Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part
And fulfill the direction of CONGREGATION MEMBERS via the 2017 Survey by the ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE TASK FORCE.
We ask you to reduce waste when using the kitchen at the Fellowship!
MEAL SERVICE FOR UNDER 25- 30 PEOPLE:
- Please use the 9-inch plates, bowls, wine glasses and coffee mugs
- Coffee mugs can be used for water, juice and coffee or tea. Place a tray of mugs near all drink areas
- Silverware can be placed out in baskets and use paper napkins
- If you are having a half-day or day- long retreat please have everyone use the same mug through out the day for water juice and coffee.
- Load the dishwasher after every meal and start if it’s full and hand wash serving dishes and cooking things.
- Please use cloth dishtowels.
- The only waste should be paper napkins.
MEAL SERVICE FOR 30+ PEOPLE: THE 3 SINK METHOD
- Please use the 9-inch plates, wine glasses, bowls, and coffee mugs.
- Please use coffee mugs for water and juice. Place a tray of mugs near all drink sites.
- Silverware can be out on the table in baskets.
- Please use cloth dishtowels whenever possible. The only waste should be paper napkins.
- If you are having a half-day or daylong retreat please have everyone use the same mug through out the day for coffee, tea, water and juice.
- Load cups, and any glasses possible in the dishwasher.
- Bowls and wine glasses take up a lot of room in the dishwasher so please hand wash.
- Set up the 3-sink area as follows, get 3 people to help. Rubber gloves are recommended.
- Have helpers stack dishes to the left of the 3-sink area.
- Have first helper clean debris off the plates into a garbage pail.
- The helper at the first sink first sink with hot soapy water washes the dishes and pass to the second helper.
- The helper at the second sink will dunk the dish in a very hot rinse water and pass to the
- Third sink helper who will dunk the dish in hot water with a capful of bleach and put the dish to air dry in the dish drainer.
- Time and steps will be saved if the cups could be unloaded from the dishwasher onto cafeteria style trays and carried over to where they are needed OR
- They could be stored during the week on the shelf in the cabinet on the end of the island. That way cups can be transferred easily where needed to coffee service and for juice or water in meeting rooms.
PLEASE LEAVE THE KITCHEN AS YOU FOUND IT and MAKE SURE ALL DISHES ARE BACK WHERE THEY BELONG.
- Reduce our waste deposits to the landfill
- Reduce the use of natural resources for producing plastic and paper products
- Reduce air pollution by not having to transport these goods to market