Do you like to cook scrumptious dinners for a crowd or take friends on a hike? Do you have a skill you’d like to teach, like teaching grandparents how to use Instagram? Or, how about providing a service like babysitting so a couple of parents can get the night off.
These are just some of the events and services you can offer to host for Dining for Dollar$ (D4$)—the fall fundraiser for UUFSD.
How Does Dining for Dollar$ Work?
With D4$, you can host an event, you can participate in an event, or you can do both.
(1) To host an event:
• Fill out the D4$ application no later than October 30: http://uufsd.org/giving/ways-to-give/. Make sure you select 3 date and time options—from January 1, 2017 to June 30, 2017—for when you want your event or service scheduled. If the event or service doesn’t require a scheduled date and time, write or type TBA (to be arranged).
(2) To participate in an event:
• Sign up for events and services on Sign-Up Sundays—November 6 & 13. The D4$ committee will send you a bill. Your host will contact you once you’ve paid for your event. Note: some events may have waiting lists. So, sign up for an event even if it seems completely booked because you might be able to go after all.
Dining for Dollar$ Ideas
Here are some D4$ ideas for you to consider.
• Themed dinner (ethnic food; costumes; wild women; etc)
• Cookout for families
• Cocktails and appetizers
• Picnic in a park or at the beach
• Tea and play-reading
• A day at the zoo with a picnic
• Teach how to cook your favorite recipe and then serve it
• Folk singing and feasting
• A lesson – tennis, art, knitting, gardening, social media
• Poolside luau
• Board games and dessert
• Stress relief – light food, meditation, massage, Jacuzzi
• Watch a movie or sports event with snacks or dinner
• Cupcake baking and decorating
• Poker and barbecue
• Yoga, appetizers, and wine
• Poetry reading and wine in your garden
• Stitch ‘n bitch party
• Karaoke party
If you want to host an event but can’t do the whole thing yourself, let us know and we’ll try to find you a partner(s). One goal of D4$ is to have something for people of all ages, interests, and financial abilities. Think creatively, think fun, think fellowship.
Contact Glen and Alice at stewardship@UUFSD.org or (760) 721-6327 if you have any questions.